The idea of lying down on a grid of spikes might not seem pleasant if you are unfamiliar with acupressure. But acupressure, one of the oldest medical practices in existence, has numerous health benefits for both the body and the mind.
When you lie on the mat that comes with the acupressure pillow & mat set, more than 6,000 acupressure points push against your body simultaneously. An immediate decrease in pain and inflammation brought on by achy muscles and trigger points is possible with acupressure, a technique for stimulating the body to repair itself.
Let’s explore what an acupressure pillow is, how it works, and its benefits for head and neck pain in this article.
What is Acupressure?
Acupressure was first based on the prehistoric Chinese concept that illness disturbed the body’s Qi or energy flow. This Chinese concept works by prodding and rubbing specific places on the body to stimulate the nerves and produce endorphins or Qi, which helps the body heal more quickly and experience less pain and more happiness.
Acupressure Pillow Benefits
Acupressure has been shown to improve energy while reducing back and neck discomfort, anxiety, and tension. However, there hasn’t been much research done on the benefits of acupressure pillows and mats. These pillows and mats may offer the same or a similar range of benefits as acupressure and acupuncture because they stimulate pressure points along the body’s meridians.
Acupressure pillows and mats have several benefits. Although there isn’t a lot of research on acupressure mats particularly, a few small studies suggest they may help relieve pain . Here are just a few of the excellent ways that an acupressure mat and pillows can benefit you with regular use, from relieving occasional pain to finding your inner peace:
- Helps provide short-term relief for back and neck pain.
- Promotes good blood flow circulation.
- Encourages good breathing.
- Boosts a sense of energy.
- Relieves tension and feelings of stress after a busy day.
- Boosts the quality of sleep.
- Reduces motion sickness brought on by tension and stiffness in the body.
- Reduces shoulder discomfort and sporadic shoulder blade soreness.
- Relieves overworked, stiff, and aching muscles.
Acupressure Pillow for Neck Pain
People frequently turn to pillows rather than mats for additional pain relief when they are experiencing neck pain. Acupressure mats, on the other hand, can offer incredible benefits that a pillow alone cannot.
How to use an acupressure pillow?
If you decide to use an acupressure pillow, start by lying flat or sitting straight on a tall chair or couch. Place the pillow under your neck, then reposition it as necessary for comfort. Use the pillow for about 20 minutes, or until the pain or discomfort subsides.
Use the acupressure pillow and mat set daily for 10 to 20 minutes at a time to achieve the best results. Always remember to breathe, and work on deliberately relaxing your body. Here is some other advice on how to use an acupressure pillow and mat:
- Put a layer between yourself and the mat and pillow set to start. Wearing a light shirt or covering the spikes with a little piece of fabric will help you get used to the mat or pillow’s feel. Although they don’t feel the need to take their shirts off straight away, users claim that they achieve the best results when the pillow comes into contact with their bare skin.
- Adjust your position with care. If you shift or fidget using the acupressure pillow or mat, you risk piercing or scratching your skin.
Acupressure for Headaches
Users of acupressure pillows and mats have reported experiencing headache relief. The acupressure pillow asserts to eliminate harmful energy that is causing the pain because it functions similarly to acupuncture. Acupuncture activates some bodily systems, according to contemporary medicine. According to other studies, acupuncture can treat those suffering from chronic headache pain . This could then start a healing process.
Bottomline: Acupuncture Pillow Benefits and Precautions
Despite the limited amount of research on acupressure pillows and mats, anecdotal data suggests that they can help in relaxing muscles and easing muscular pain throughout the body. There are different ways to use acupressure pillows and mats, so experiment and find a routine that works for you.
While acupressure has many benefits, it should not be used in place of any prescribed treatments or medications that a doctor, chiropractor, or other healthcare professional has recommended. Always work together with a medical expert so that they can address and identify any potential health concerns you may be having.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References And Fact-Checking
- Hohmann C, Ullrich I, Lauche R, Choi KE, Lüdtke R, Rolke R, Cramer H, Saha FJ, Rampp T, Michalsen A, Langhorst J, Dobos G, Musial F. The benefit of a mechanical needle stimulation pad in patients with chronic neck and lower back pain: two randomized controlled pilot studies. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:753583. doi: 10.1155/2012/753583. Epub 2012 Sep 11. PMID: 22997531; PMCID: PMC3446809.
- Linde K, Allais G, Brinkhaus B, Fei Y, Mehring M, Shin BC, Vickers A, White AR. Acupuncture for the prevention of tension‐type headache. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD007587. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007587.pub2. Accessed 08 September 2022.