There has been a paradigm shift in how beauty products are consumed worldwide. People prefer plant-based natural beauty products over animal-based ones. There are an infinite number of products that are available in the market that promote the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles, acne, anti-aging, younger-looking skin, and many more.
Bakuchiol is the new rage in the market with promising results. It contains vitamin A that stimulates collagen synthesis, giving you smoother and more radiant skin.
Let us explore more about this new skincare ingredient.
What Is Bakuchiol?
Bakuchiol is an extract derived from the seeds and leaves of the plant called Psoralea corylifolia. It is also popularly known as the babchi plant in India and Sri Lanka. It has been used as an ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries.
Babchi can help you to have younger-looking skin. It rejuvenates collagen levels and restores the skin’s firmness and tightness. And it also refines your texture and reduces your fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and blemishes (face marks).
The antioxidant in babchi helps reduce everyday oxidative stress, promoting healthy-looking skin.
It is a plant-based, vegan natural product available in the form of creams, serums, and facial peels.
Bakuchiol is an excellent alternative to retinol, which was the only ingredient used for skin care regimes, especially for anti-aging. Babchi is gentler toward the skin and works amazingly well on dry and sensitive skin .
What Is Bakuchiol Good For?
The Bakuchiol plant is beneficial in preparing medicine for several illnesses. The entire plant is helpful, from roots, leaves, and stems, to seeds, for making medicine for skin diseases. It is also called ‘Kushtanashini.’
There are several benefits of babchi:
1. It is Good for the Skin
Bakuchiol is extremely good for your skin and can help treat many skin problems. According to studies, it reduces fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and other inflammatory diseases like acne and discoloration. Here are some of the things it does to your skin:
- Evens Your Skin Tone: It helps reduce discoloration from acne and hyperpigmentation from sun rays, giving you an even tone, smooth and brightening the complexion.
- It Reduces Your Fine Lines: It helps to regenerate cells and make collagen. And plumping your skin, thereby reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Speeds-up Cellular Regenerations: It stimulates cell turnover and production of healthy collagen, giving you a rejuvenating and transformative effect on your skin. It helps to make your skin firmer and younger.
- Suitable for All Skin Types: The product suits all skin types and works wonderfully on dry and sensitive skin.
- Does Not Cause Irritation and Dryness: Babchi is gentle on your skin and does not cause any irritation or dryness compared to other skin care products like retinol.
- Soothes the Skin: Bakuchiol helps your skin soothe and heal by promoting healthy cell regeneration and renewed collagen.
2. Helps with Skin Diseases
Bakuchi plants have been used for centuries to treat skin diseases. The seeds are used for treating Lecuoderma (a skin condition of discoloration), psoriasis, scabies, ringworm, and tinea versicolor. According to a study, it can also help with leprosy.
The extract is available in ointment, oil, and gels for topical application.
3. May Help with Cancer
As per studies, the extracts of babchi are effective in combatting cancer cells of lung cancer and osteosarcomas.
4. Treats Dental and Bone Disorders
The extracts from the seeds are used for treating various dental disorders like dental carries.
Also, as per research, it can boost bone calcification. Hence it is beneficial for treating bone fractures and osteoporosis.
5. Helps with Reproductive and Urinary Problems
Bakuchi seeds treat issues like impotence, premature ejaculation, incontinence in men, and frequent urination. While it helps females with problems like abnormal bleeding and menstrual disorder.
The plant’s fruit is also used in making a tonic that works as an aphrodisiac.
6. May Improve Gastrointestinal Disorders
Many gastrointestinal disorders are treated using different parts of the plant. The powder from the seed extract helps treat issues like constipation and improves appetite and parasitic intestinal infections.
At the same time, the leaves help make medicine to relieve diarrhea. And the fruit of the plant helps deal with nausea and piles.
7. Can be Used Everyday
It can be used daily on your skin as a part of your skincare regime without fear. It is suitable for all skin tones and types. You can avoid it for a few days if you face any discomfort like redness or dryness.
8. It Acts as an Antioxidant
Studies confirm that Bakuchiol has antioxidant properties that help to manage oxidative stress.
Is Bakuchiol Actually Effective?
Bakuchiol is very effective and has been used for decades in Ayurvedic medicine. It works gently on any skin type and helps reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and acne giving you a younger-looking and radiant skin.
Of course, its effects may differ from one person to another. There’s no guarantee that Bakuchiol will be effective in treating any medical condition or improving skin.
What Are the Side Effects of Bakuchiol?
Babchi has no known side effects and is considered safe for skin care.
However, you may experience minor issues like redness or dryness during the initial days. To reduce these issues, apply the cream/gel slowly. First, try it for a couple of days and gradually increase the frequency once your skin gets accustomed to it.
How to Include Bakuchiol in Your Skincare Routine?
Adding bakuchiol into your skincare regime is pretty easy. Depending on how your skin reacts, you can use it both in the morning or evening.
First, you have to cleanse your skin. After that, use bakuchiol gel or cream followed by your regular moisturizer. But if you have very dry or sensitive skin, apply moisture before and after.
Always use sunscreen before going out to protect your skin, as bakuchiol stimulates cell turnover.
Bottomline: Benefits and Side Effects for Skin
Bakuchiol or Babchi plant is a native plant from India. It is derived from the seeds of Psoralea corylifolia. It is a vegan plant-based product ideal for dry and sensitive skin.
The entire plant is used for making Ayurvedic medicine to treat several skin disorders.
It is currently the most preferred ingredient used by the beauty industry to slow down signs of aging and help with other issues like fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.
The extract from Babchi seeds helps stimulate the skin cell and improves the texture and tone of your skin. It also works as an antioxidant and protects from cell damage from free radicals.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your own healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References and Fact Checking
- Brownell L, Geen S, E Y, Lee WL. A Clinical Study Evaluating the Efficacy of Topical Bakuchiol (UP256) Cream on Facial Acne. J Drugs Dermatol. 2021 Mar 1;20(3):307-310. doi: 10.36849/JDD.5655. PMID: 33683079.
- Dhaliwal S, Rybak I, Ellis SR, Notay M, Trivedi M, Burney W, Vaughn AR, Nguyen M, Reiter P, Bosanac S, Yan H, Foolad N, Sivamani RK. Prospective, randomized, double-blind assessment of topical bakuchiol and retinol for facial photoageing. Br J Dermatol. 2019 Feb;180(2):289-296. doi: 10.1111/bjd.16918. Epub 2018 Sep 21. PMID: 29947134.
- Retinoid or retinol? (n.d.). https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-secrets/anti-aging/retinoid-retinol
- Spierings NMK. Cosmetic commentary: Is bakuchiol the new “skincare hero”? J Cosmet Dermatol. 2020 Dec;19(12):3208-3209. doi: 10.1111/jocd.13708. Epub 2020 Sep 25. PMID: 32888255.
- Draelos ZD, Gunt H, Zeichner J, Levy S. Clinical Evaluation of a Nature-Based Bakuchiol Anti-Aging Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. J Drugs Dermatol. 2020 Dec 1;19(12):1181-1183. doi: 10.36849/JDD.2020.5522. PMID: 33346506.