Nootropic supplements are becoming more popular as people look for ways to boost their cognitive performance. Bromantane is one type of nootropic that has been shown to have some impressive benefits.
However, there are also some potential risks associated with taking bromantane, so it’s important to weigh the benefits and risks before deciding whether or not to take it.
In this article, we’ll look at what bromantane is, how it works, and the potential risks and side effects. Let’s begin.
What is Bromantane?
Bromantane is a derivative of adamantane that acts as an actoprotector, a class of drugs that promotes physical activity under stressful conditions.
Bromantane has been touted for its supposed health benefits, which include a boost in vitality, less nervousness and weariness, enhanced learning, and better motor control. Some suggest that the sum of these advantages will lead to enhanced cognitive and physical efficiency.
Its original purpose was to help people perform better under severe conditions. The drug’s use resulted in increased concentration and drive in the workplace. The medicine was notably distributed to the Soviet and Russian armed forces to speed up recuperation times for soldiers following strenuous physical activity.
In 2009, it gained widespread distribution approval in Russia as a Neurasthenia treatment. So yet, the U.S. Food and Medicine Administration has only given conditional approval to the drug. The optimal dose of the medicine and further scientific confirmation of its effects are now the focus of ongoing clinical trials. 
How Do Bromantane Nootropic Supplements Work?
Bromantane works by increasing brain activity. It promotes healthy levels of dopamine, increasing alertness and wakefulness. It also increases serotonin levels, which can help with mood regulation, increasing alertness and focus. The boost and the regulation benefit the body’s cognitive and physical abilities. 
What are the Benefits of Bromantane Nootropic Supplements
Bromantane nootropic supplements are known for their health benefits, such as improved mental performance, better physical endurance, and a positive outlook. Let’s take a closer look at its advantages.
1. Bromantane for Improving Brain Function
An animal study found that Bromantane significantly increased dopamine secretion over a long period. It also raises serotonin levels. This result establishes a direct connection between Bromantane and the dopamine-related brain processes of motor control, motivation, reward, and arousal. 
Furthermore, dopamine makes you feel awake and attentive. Memory development also relies heavily on this neurotransmitter. According to research, dopamine simulators help people learn new information and retain it in long-term (declarative) memory.
Bromantane may also aid in the reduction of anxiety, the stimulation of brain activity, and the development of quicker reflexes. [4, 5]
However, the evidence against bromantane’s use as a cognitive enhancer is overwhelming. These findings need to be confirmed by larger, more rigorous clinical studies.
2. Bromantane for Improving Mood
Bromantane does not only activate dopamine, but also other neurotransmitters. This nootropic enhances the body’s ability to absorb serotonin, a hormone known for its positive effects on mood, happiness, and overall health. This medication blocks the reuptake of both neurotransmitters, allowing them to remain at their high levels in the brain.
3. Bromantane for Strengthening Your Immune System
Bromantane may also help strengthen your immune system. Taking a single dosage of Bromantane has been shown in one research to raise both B-cells (important immune system cells) and circulating complex immune levels (activate phagocytes and antibodies that fight foreign substances in the body that boosts your resistance to infection). 
4. Bromantane for Boosting Physical Performance
Animal research suggests that bromantane may have a somewhat enhancing impact on the effects of both adrenaline and noradrenaline. It prevented the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline from excreted in the urine, facilitating physical exertion. 
5. Bromantane for Reducing Inflammation
Chronic inflammation can have a negative impact on your health and well-being. It can eventually activate your immune system, signaling it to target healthy tissues. If untreated, chronic inflammation raises the likelihood of developing several potentially fatal conditions, such as cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.
In an animal study, bromantane mitigated the inflammatory response caused by depression. These results indicate that bromantane may be a promising pharmacological candidate for the adjunctive treatment of mood disorders. Potentially, bromantane can help reduce inflammation by lowering levels of inflammatory cytokines. 
Bromantane Nootropic Supplements Dosage
No official dose information is available for bromantane because it has not been authorized by the FDA for any conditions and has only been studied in several clinical trials. Based on trial and error, users and supplement producers have created unofficial dosages.
Manufacturer recommendations typically range from 50 to 100 milligrams daily.
When used to treat asthenia, bromantane is typically given in clinical dosages between 50 mg and 100 mg once a day.
Many athletes find that a daily intake of 100 to 300 mg helps them perform at their best. Dosages ranging from 30 mg to 300 mg have been studied in animals and proved to be safe, without any serious adverse effects.
Doses exceeding 3000 mg daily have been associated with the majority of severe adverse effects.
However, a daily dose of Bromantane of more than 1,000 milligrams is not recommended. Tolerance can develop at larger doses. Even if there are no negative side effects, the advantages will likely decrease if you stop using the medicine.
Lastly, women may require a higher dose of Bromantane than males because of the difference in their metabolic rates and rates of absorption. And because of the increased alertness and energy levels it induces, it’s best to avoid taking it too close to bedtime.
Before taking bromantane supplements, you should always consult with your doctor.
Bromantane Nootropic Supplements Risks: Who Should Not Take Bromantane?
As the FDA does not approve bromantane, it has yet to be extensively studied in clinical trials. Bromantane may increase blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature. It should not be used by people with cardiovascular or high blood pressure, as bromantane can worsen these conditions.
Bromantane also carries a risk of dependence and withdrawal effects when stopping bromantane. As bromantane works on the dopamine system, long-term use can lead to dopamine receptor downregulation and changes in brain chemistry. That is why it should be used only for brief periods, such as two weeks on and two weeks off.
Furthermore, bromantane is not suitable for pregnant or nursing mothers. In addition, bromantane should not be given to children under 12 years of age. It should also be avoided if you take prescription medicine, as these may cause unwanted drug interactions.
What are the Side effects of Bromantane Nootropic Supplements?
Bromantane’s potential effects on humans are difficult to predict because there is so little scientific data available.
The majority of what is known about the drug’s negative effects comes from anecdotes from people who use it frequently, with some evidence coming from animal studies. However, it does not appear to be addictive and does not cause any major negative effects.
Possible adverse reactions to the medicine include increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, brain fog, weariness, disorientation, insomnia, and an energy crash. The reported adverse effects are minor for the most part, with more severe responses associated with larger dose intake.
Bottom Line: Bromantane Nootropic Supplements Benefits and Risks
Some research suggests that bromantane may offer a range of benefits, including increased vitality, less nervousness and fatigue, enhanced learning, and better motor control.
It may also provide other benefits like improved work performance, physical fitness and endurance, and boosting the immune system. However, more research is needed to confirm these potential effects.
Official dose information is unavailable because the FDA has not authorized bromantane for any medical conditions. It should only be used with a doctor’s supervision, as it can sometimes cause dangerous side effects.
If you consider taking bromantane supplements, you must speak with your doctor first. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action based on your individual health needs.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your own healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References And Fact-Checking
- Oliynyk S, Oh S. The pharmacology of actoprotectors: practical application for improvement of mental and physical performance. Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2012 Sep;20(5):446-56. doi: 10.4062/biomolther.2012.20.5.446. PMID: 24009833; PMCID: PMC3762282.
- Vakhitova IuV, Iamidanov RS, Seredinin SB. Ladasten indutsiruet ékspressiiu genov, reguliruiushchikh biosintez dofamina v razlichnykh strukturakh mozga krys [Ladasten induces the expression of genes regulating dopamine biosynthesis in various structures of rat brain]. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2004 Jul-Aug;67(4):7-11. Russian. PMID: 15500036.
- Viatleva OA, Barchukov VG, Morozov IS, Salenko IuA, Zhirnov EN. Neĭro- i psikhofiziologicheskie éffekty bromantana [The neuro- and psychophysiological effects of bromantane]. Voen Med Zh. 2000 Aug;321(8):61-5, 96. Russian. PMID: 10998997.
- Neznamov GG, Siuniakov SA, Teleshova SE, Chumakov DV, Reutova MA, Siuniakov TS, Mametova LE, Dorofeeva OA, Grishin SA. [Ladasten, the new drug with psychostimulant and anxiolytic actions in treatment of neurasthenia (results of the comparative clinical study with placebo)]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2009;109(5):20-6. Russian. PMID: 19491814.
- Iezhitsa IN, Spasov AA, Bugaeva LI. Effects of bromantan on offspring maturation and development of reflexes. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2001 Mar-Apr;23(2):213-22. doi: 10.1016/s0892-0362(01)00119-2. PMID: 11348840.
- Morozov IS, Klimova NV, Sergeeva SA, Ivanova IA, Barchukov VG, Kovalev GI, Piatin BM, Avdiunina NI. Proizvodnye adamantana, povyshaiushchie ustoĭchivost’ organizma k ékstremal’nym vozdeĭstviiam [Adamantane derivatives enhancing body’s resistance to emergencies]. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk. 1999;(3):28-32. Russian. PMID: 10222828.
- Morozov IS, Efimova LP, Kryzhanovskiĭ SA. Vliianie bromantana na serdechno-sosudistuiu i simpatiko-adrenalovuiu sistemu zhivotnykh [The effect of bromantane on the cardiovascular and sympathetic-adrenal systems in animals]. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2000 Jan-Feb;63(1):33-6. Russian. PMID: 10763107.
- Tallerova AV, Kovalenko LP, Durnev AD, Seredenin SB. [Effect of antiasthenic drug ladasten on the level of cytokines and behavior in experimental model of anxious depression in C57BL/6 male mice]. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2011;74(11):3-5. Russian. PMID: 22288152.