In today’s world, we encounter a massive pandemic. No other than the Covid-19 pandemic.
Elderberry gummies have gained popularity as a potential natural remedy for boosting the immune system, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Made from the extract of the elderberry plant, these gummies are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that can provide several health benefits.
If you are looking for a natural way to boost your immune system, then, Elderberry gummies are what you need!
But you dive in. Let us know, “Is it safe?” “Are there any side effects? Are Elderberry gummies for everyone?
Stay with me as we talk about the good and bad things about elderberry gummies.
Table of Contents
The Benefits of Elderberry
Elderberry gummies are like ordinary gummies we used to know but with a twist. They are packed with Elderberry extract and other immunity-boosting herbs. In addition, they have antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help you feel better.
Elderberry gummies can help your immune system , which is one of its main advantages. This is because elderberries contain certain substances that can assist your body in fighting germs and reducing inflammation.
They may also improve heart health by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels. This may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Another great thing is that it may also enhance cognitive function and lessen stress. According to research, elderberries can also enhance cognitive function and lessen anxiety and despair. 
Potential Side Effects of Elderberry Gummies
Although most people find elderberry supplements safe, there are a few possible side effects. Digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are typical side effects.
Elderberry supplements may, in rare circumstances, also result in allergic responses. Consult a doctor immediately if you experience symptoms after taking elderberry supplements, such as swelling, itchy skin, or trouble breathing.
But wait, there’s more. First, it’s critical to be aware that elderberry supplements may interact with some drugs, including those for diabetes and immune system disorders.
Before ingesting any new supplements, consult your physician, especially if you are already ill or using the medicine.
Who Should Avoid Elderberry?
Let me guess. You also asked yourself if Elderberry is safe. Let me answer that. Elderberry is generally safe for most people; not everyone should take it.
Elderberry supplements should be avoided by those with autoimmune conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis . This is because elderberry can boost their immune system, which may worsen their situation.
Additionally, because there is little data on the safety of elderberry products during pregnancy and lactation, pregnant and nursing women should avoid them. Elderberry supplements shouldn’t be consumed by kids under 12 since little data exists to confirm their safety.
Elderberry Supplements and COVID
Let me clarify. There is currently no data to support the notion that elderberry can treat or prevent COVID-19, even though it has been demonstrated to have antiviral characteristics.
Some research suggests that elderberry may increase COVID-19 symptoms by boosting the immune system, which may result in cytokine storms.
Whatever it is, It’s crucial to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions if you have COVID-19 symptoms and not just rely on elderberry supplements.
Elderberry Gummies vs. Other Supplements: Which is Better?
Both elderberry gummies and other supplements are advantageous. However, Elderberry gummies taste better and are more convenient to take.
There is an issue to consider – elderberry supplements can contain a higher concentration of elderberry extract than other options. Your decision should depend on your specific preferences and health requirements.
Elderberry gummies may suit you if you seek a pleasant and practical supplement. But supplements may be more appropriate if you require a more significant amount of elderberry for medical purposes.
Talking to your doctor before including any supplements in your routine is essential. They can guide you in choosing the appropriate dosage and guarantee it is secure.
How to Choose the Best Elderberry Gummies for Your Needs
When choosing the best elderberry gummies for your needs, here are some factors to consider:
- Quality: Look for a company that uses premium elderberry extract and conducts independent testing to guarantee its efficacy and purity.
- Dosage: Examine the dosage per gummy and contrast it with the elderberry intake suggested daily.
- Ingredients: Consider the gummies’ additional ingredients, such as sweeteners or preservatives, and whether your dietary requirements are compatible.
- Price: Compare prices across different brands and determine what fits within your budget.
Once you’ve considered these factors and selected a brand, it’s essential to follow the recommended dosage and usage instructions for the best results. Finally, store your elderberry gummies in a cool, dry place to maintain their quality and effectiveness.
An Elderberry gummy is a delicious and quick way to get the health advantages of elderberries into your diet. Yet, it’s essential to pick a reliable brand and speak with your doctor before adding any new supplements to your regimen, especially if you have a medical condition or are taking medication.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References and Fact-Checking
- Krawitz, C., Mraheil, M. A., Stein, M., Imirzalioglu, C., Domann, E., Pleschka, S., & Hain, T. (2011). Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses. BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 11(1), 16.
- Tiralongo, E., Wee, S. S., & Lea, R. A. (2016). Elderberry supplementation reduces cold duration and symptoms in air-travellers: A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Nutrients, 8(4), 182.
- Zakay-Rones, Z., Thom, E., Wollan, T., & Wadstein, J. (2004). Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections. Journal of International Medical Research, 32(2), 132-140.
- Hawkins, J., Baker, C., Cherry, L., & Dunne, E. (2019). Black elderberry (Sambucus nigra) supplementation effectively treats upper respiratory symptoms: A meta-analysis of randomized, controlled clinical trials. Complementary therapies in medicine, 42, 361-365.
- Medical News Today. (2021, March 26). Elderberry Gummies: Benefits and Side Effects. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/elderberry-gummies
- WebMD. (n.d.). Elderberry: Health Benefits and Side Effects. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/diet/elderberry-health-benefits
- FDA. (2020, May 11). Warning Letter: Center for New Medicine/Perfectly Healthy; Connealy, M.D. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/center-new-medicineperfectly-healthy-connealy-md-605804-05112020
- PMC. (2021, April 26). Elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.)-Derived Polyphenol Compound Improves Functionality and Mitochondrial Health in C2C12 Myotubes. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9744084/
- Effect of Elderberry Juice on Cognition and Inflammation in Patients With Mild Cognitive Impairment – Full Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov. (n.d.). Effect of Elderberry Juice on Cognition and Inflammation in Patients With Mild Cognitive Impairment – Full Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02414607