Huperzine A, also known as Huperzia Serrata (selagine) or HupA, comes from a Chinese club moss plant. It is a native plant in Eastern Asian countries and is used for treating conditions like dementia, Alzheimer, and other cognitive and brain function.
HupA comes in capsule form and can be taken as a supplement to improve your memory and other brain conditions.
You can also get some amount of HupA from food. Natural foods like fish, meat, and eggs are rich in choline which further produces Huperzine A.
What are the Benefits of Huperzine A?
The health benefits of Huperzine A are:
1) Better Night’s Sleep
According to a study, taking Huperzine A supplements can make you sleep better. It helps to regulate the balance between molecules in the brain and thus stays longer in the REM (rapid eye movement) stage of sleep.
2) Helps Improve Your Memory
Studies suggest that HupA can help make patient improve their memory. It allows nerve cells to interact with each other for a longer duration, which further boosts memory.
3) Aids to Movement Disorders
HupA can help in improving movement disorders. The movement disorder happens due to a lack of acetylcholine, i.e., a neurotransmitter that helps interact with the brain and muscles. It acts as a primary nerve signal for muscles, and Huperzine A can help improve movement without medication.
4) Regulates the Acetylcholine
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter in the brain that signals nerves and muscles to function properly. According to studies, Huperzine A is the best inhibitor that helps in smooth signaling to neurons.
The supplement helps to regulate this molecule, which is a base for cognitive diseases and other memory functions.
5) Fight against Dementia and Alzheimer’s Diseases
Dementia and Alzheimer’s are the most common cognitive diseases of old age. Due to memory loss, people find it difficult to remember small day-to-day things.
Huperzine A can help increase the acetylcholine molecule, restoring memory and other cognitive function.
6) Help with Drug Addiction
According to research studies, taking Hupa A supplements can help treat addiction to drugs and substances like cocaine. It can help to bring back the cognitive balance and help the patient recover from addiction.
7) Protects your Brain Cells
Studies suggest that Huperzine A supplements may help relieve oxidative stress from brain cells. It can protect your brain from free radicals, which impact your short-term memory and significantly damage your brain in the long term.
And it can support healthy brain health with no side effects on cognitive function or memory.
8) Recover from Brian and Spinal Cord Injuries
According to studies, HuperzineA may increase the blood flow in the brain, thus helping patients with severe brain or spinal cord damage by reviving their nerve cells.
HupA has been used for centuries in Chinese traditional medicine to treat brain and spinal cord injuries.
What are the Side Effects and Dangers of Huperzine A?
Huperzine A is usually safe for many people if you follow the recommended dosage. However, there are some potential side effects, such as:
- High Blood pressure: Some people may experience a rise in their blood pressure (more than normal).
- Loss of Appetite
- Slowed Heart rate
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Increased secretion of urine and saliva
- Cramping and contraction of lean muscles
Dosage of Huperzine A
The standard recommended dose for a huperzine supplement is 200-500 mcg per day for up to 6 months.
For Alzheimer’s patients, the suggested dose is 300-500mcg per day, and 100 mcg twice a day for patients diagnosed with dementia.
Always consult a healthcare professional before consuming, especially if you have any prior medical conditions.
Is Huperzine A Dangerous?
HupA supplements are safe has been used for centuries. It can also be included in your regular diet.
How long does HupA take to Work?
You can see results within 3-4 weeks of regular consumption.
Can I take Huperzine A daily?
The supplement can be consumed daily within the recommended dosage.
What is the use of Huperzine A?
HupA supplements are extracted from Chinese club moss and used in treating patients with memory loss and other neurogenerative diseases. You can also consume it as a supplement to enhance your memory.
Bottomline: Huperzine A Benefits and Side Effects
Huperzine A is an extract from Chinese club moss to treat neurodegenerative diseases and other cognitive functions. It is considered the best inhibitor for acetylcholine molecule that interacts with your brain and nerves.
The supplement is safe to consume as long as you take the recommended dose. It could be effective for patients with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
HupA may also help improve your brain and other cognitive functions.
In a nutshell, HupA increases the level of your neurotransmitters and can improve your cognitive functions within weeks. It can also boost your memory in a natural way. The supplements are available over the counter and are safe to consume.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your own healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References and Fact Checking
- Wang R, Tang XC. Neuroprotective effects of huperzine A. A natural cholinesterase inhibitor for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Neurosignals. 2005;14(1-2):71-82. doi: 10.1159/000085387. PMID: 15956816.
- Zangara A. The psychopharmacology of huperzine A: an alkaloid with cognitive enhancing and neuroprotective properties of interest in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):675-86. doi: 10.1016/s0091-3057(03)00111-4. PMID: 12895686.
- Damar U, Gersner R, Johnstone JT, Schachter S, Rotenberg A. Huperzine A as a neuroprotective and antiepileptic drug: a review of preclinical research. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016 Jun;16(6):671-80. doi: 10.1080/14737175.2016.1175303. Epub 2016 Apr 20. PMID: 27086593.
- Rafii MS, Walsh S, Little JT, et al; Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study. A phase II trial of huperzine A in mild to moderate Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2011;76(16):1389-94. doi:10.1212/WNL.0b013e318216eb7b
- Zhang HY. New insights into huperzine A for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2012;33(9):1170–1175. doi:10.1038/aps.2012.128
- Cochrane Library. (n.d.). https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005592.pub2/full