The Oura ring is a titanium data collective device that looks like a ring. It tracks the data and tells you what is happening inside your body. The ring comprises hypoallergic materials that protect the sensor and electronics against dust, moisture, scratches, etc. 
Inside the oura ring, there are,
- 2 negative thermal coefficient body temperature sensors
- 2 infrared LED sensors
- 1 3D accelerometer
- 1 Gyroscope
The Oura rings are pretty fashionable, light, and compact-looking ring. The stylish device identifies and suggests an area of improvement in your sleep patterns, heart rate, and activity levels. That is why many people get confused with some medical devices designed to monitor or treat diseases.
But it can only highlight the pattern of your health, such as heart rate, breathing rate, skin temperature, heart rate variability, and other metrics that may need healthcare assistance.
For example, the device helps you track how active you were over the past week by measuring your steps, workout, exercise, calories burned, inactivity, naps, etc.
Oura Ring Benefits
Oura ring’s unique features are its biggest advantage. It is small and stylish, and you can wear it on your finger like a ring.
- It is made from high-quality, waterproof material, and you can wear it on either hand as per your comfort.
- The battery life of this device is long and can last up to 7 days before charging.
The oura rings look fashionable and are available in many colors. You can also transfer your data into an app via Bluetooth anytime.
You can track your performance and fitness levels via 3 scores:
It measures how restful you are by measuring your sleep stages (deep sleep, Rem sleep), heart rate at night, etc.
It tells the calories to burn during the day and inactive time.
It gives you an indication of your performance and activity level during the day
How Does Oura Ring Work?
The Oura ring considers factors like REM sleep, deep sleep, heart rate, body temperature, etc., to achieve your daily targets. The USP of this device is the sleep score it provides, which other products offer as accurately as it does. The Oura ring monitors capture data points like :
The ring monitors your sleep patterns during the night. It provides personalized data and recommendations on different stages of your sleep.
The rings track data points like heart rate, breathing per heartbeat, resting heart rate, etc., throughout the day.
The ring tracks the changing body temperature throughout the day and night.
It measures the number of steps, exercise, idle time, etc., activities during the day.
The ring allows you to monitor your health trends daily, weekly, and monthly to better understand your lifestyle choices and overall health.
Oura Ring Specs and Features
The Oura ring has been in the markets for decades. Its stylish look and long battery life have been the USP of this device.
The pricing is on the higher side against the rest of the trackers in the market.
The device’s features have changed considerably over time from Oura ring to Oura ring 3.
Earlier generation Oura ring had only 0.5 MB memory while Oura ring 3 has 16 MB.
The number of temperature sensors has increased to 7 against 3. The new temperature sensors in the ring provide accurate data about menstrual periods or illness temperature .
It also has a wellness library meditation feature that provides guided and non-guided mediation to relax and be stress-free.
The new ring is available in several colors like gold, black, silver, and stealth. The ring is more durable and waterproof, up to 330 feet, which allows you to take a bath and swim while wearing the ring.
One of the best features of this ring is its weight. It is light in weight, i.e., 4-6 gms, making it comfortable to wear. The ring is non-metallic (i.e., titanium-based) and non-allergic.
You will first receive the sizing kit with different-sized plastic rings to check your actual size. The 8 size varies from 6 to 13. Once you provide the company’s actual size, you will only receive the final ring within 2-3 weeks.
The ring offers a lot of attractive features and benefits.
Oura Ring Pros and Cons
Every product has its pros and cons. Some of the good and bad points for oura ring are:
- It is gender-neutral.
- You can wear the ring on any finger
- It is available in several colors and styles.
- It is waterproof up to 100 meters
- You can easily wear it at night as well.
- The battery can last up to 7 days before changing.
- It supports during extreme temperatures.
- It syncs well with apple health and google fit.
Some of the cons of oura ring include:
- It is not available in 1/2 sizes.
- The cost of the product is higher compared to other tracker devices.
- Some of the features are missing, which are offered by competitor products.
- Shipping and Full access to app data are extra and are non-refundable.
- It must be synced with other devices to see the data.
- It is not suitable for bulky exercises like lifting etc.
How Much Does Oura Ring Cost?
The Oura ring cost depends upon the factors like color and style. The essential model cost approx $299 and can go up to $399 for gold and stealth models. And you will also have to bear the shipping charges, which are approx $15.
According to their policy, you can get a refund or exchange if you are unhappy with the product.
Always read the exchange/refund policies before buying any product. Usually, the Oura ring has a warranty of up to 1 year.
Once you place your order, you will receive the sizing kit within 2 weeks. You must wear the sizing kit for a couple of days to ensure your size and get accustomed to it.
Once you submit your sizing size, you shall receive the final ring within 2-3 weeks.
Is Oura Ring Worth It?
The Oura ring can give insights into your sleeping patterns and other health data. If you are looking for deep-dive information about your body and wellbeing, the ring can surprise you by giving some eye-opening facts about your health.
If you like to log things manually, it is not the right choice.
The final decision of whether it is worth it or not depends on your requirement.
Oura Ring Downsides
There are some downsides which you should consider before buying an Oura ring.
- Finding the perfect size is challenging as no ½ sizes are available.
- It takes almost a month to get the final ring. First, the company sends the sizing kit, which takes approx. 14 days and then another 2-3 weeks before the final delivery.
- The cost of the ring is on the higher side than other tracking products. Also, you will have to pay additional charges to get full access to the oura app.
- The other trackers available in the market have more features like smart alarm, light, sound, etc., which are missing in the Oura ring.
The Oura ring is a stylish tracking device that provides personalized information about your health stats. The aura app lets you get information like steps, calories burned, inactivity, naps, heart rate, etc.
It provides health data on 3 points, i.e., Sleep, activity and readiness.
You can wear the ring on any finger of either hand. The ring is quite expensive compared to other fitness trackers on the market.
Disclaimer: This article is only a guide. It does not substitute the advice given by your own healthcare professional. Before making any health-related decision, consult your healthcare professional.
Editorial References And Fact-Checking
- Redman, J. (2021, July 27). The Oura Ring Is a $300 Sleep Tracker That Provides Tons of Data. But Is It Worth It? Wirecutter: Reviews for the Real World. Retrieved September 16, 2022, from https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/oura-ring-sleep-tracker/
- Kryder, C. (2022, September 13). What Makes the Oura Ring Different? The Pulse Blog. Retrieved September 16, 2022, from https://ouraring.com/blog/oura-generation2-vs-generation3/